Jumpstart rules file
rules file is a text configuration file used to
associate a machine profile and pre- and post-install scripts with a
particular machine to perform an unattended installation. The
rules file consists of at least one line containing five
entries of the following type: keywords, values, a machine profile and
begin/finish scripts. All entries must be present or have a specified
marker in their place. The format for a line as is follows:
[!] keyword value [&& [!] keyword value ] \
[begin_script] [profile] [finish_script]
- The keyword(s) and value(s) are matched to the client.
Multiple keyword/value pairs may be specified for a single
rule. Once a match is made, no further processing of the
rules file is done.
- Logical operations for keyword/value paris are allowed.
- Lines beginning with
# are treated as comments.
- The pre- and post-install scripts are Bourne shell scripts, run
before and after the installation, respectively, which can be
used to save and restore files, install additional packages and
perform site-specific customization.
- The profile is a configuration file for the installation
containing information about the disk layout, the installation
type and the packages to be installed.
- The pre-install script, profile and post-install script names
are given relative to the directory containing the
- The begin script, profile and finish script are all optional,
but must be replaced with a hyphen if there is no value.