Department of Computer Science
Campus Box 90129
308 Research Drive (LSRC Building)
Durham, NC 27708
Tel: +1 (919) 660-6545
Fax: +1 (919) 660-6519
E-mail: debmalya AT cs DOT duke DOT edu
I am part of the theory group and have a
broad range of interests in the design and analysis of algorithms. I often work on
If you are a prospective PhD student interested in theory/algorithms,
please apply to the Duke Computer Science PhD program and
send me a short note. For more details of our theory group, please check out our theory wiki.
- Graph algorithms
- Algorithms under uncertainty
- Algorithms for resource allocation and scheduling
- Combinatorial optimization
- Algorithms in Internet search, advertising, and e-commerce
- Algorithms in networking and social networks
- Algorithms in game theory and computational economics
If you are a current Duke undergraduate student and want to do research in theory/algorithms, please send me an email with your interests and background
(e.g., performance in relevant courses).
I am part of the Indo-US Virtual Networked Joint Center on Algorithms under Uncertainty.
Students and Postdocs
Yu Cheng (2017 - )
Kyle Fox (2016 - '17)
- first employment: Assistant Professor, University of Texas at Dallas
Haofeng (Fred) Zhang
Arun Ganesh (BS, 2017)
- Alex Vasilos Award for Excellence in Research
- first employment: Graduate Student, University of California at Berkeley
- NSF CCF 1750140 (CAREER Award): New Directions in Graph Algorithms (2018-2023)
- NSF CCF 1535972 (Algorithms in the Field): Optimizing Networked Systems with Limited Information (2015-2019)
- NSF CCF 1527084: Allocation Algorithms in Online Systems (2015-2018)
- Yahoo Faculty Research and Engagement Program (FREP) Award: Budget-aware Online Auctions in Internet Advertising (2015-2016)
- Google Faculty Research Award: Multi-objective Optimization in Internet Advertising (2014-2015)
25th European Symposium on Algorithms (ESA), 2018.
19th ACM Conference on Economics and Computation (EC), 2018.
19th International Workshop on Approximation Algorithms for Combinatorial Optimization Problems (APPROX), 2016.
47th ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing (STOC), 2016.
35th Foundations of Software Technology and Theoretical Computer Science Conference (FSTTCS), 2015.
1st Conference on Topics in Theoretical Computer Science (TTCS), 2015.
26th ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA), 2015.
17th International Workshop on Approximation Algorithms for Combinatorial Optimization Problems (APPROX), 2014.
11th Workshop on Approximation and Online Algorithms (WAOA), 2013.
Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science, Duke University, Durham, NC, 2013---current.
Postdoc, Theory Group, Microsoft Research, Redmond, WA, 2012---2013.
PhD in Computer Science (Advisor: Prof. David Karger), Theory Group, CSAIL, MIT, Cambridge, MA, 2007---2012.
Member of Technical Staff - 1, Bell Labs, Bangalore, 2006---2007.
ME in Computer Science (Advisor: Prof. Ramesh Hariharan), CSA, IISc, Bangalore, 2004---2006.
BE in Computer Science and Engineering, Jadavpur University, Kolkata, 2000---2004.