|1 Tbs.||cooking oil|
|1 med.||onion, diced|
|2 cloves||garlic, chopped|
|1 small||cayenne pepper, partially cut open|
|1/4 tsp.||black pepper, freshly ground|
|1 pinch||gnd. cinnamon (~1/16 tsp.)|
|1 whole||bay leaf|
|1 cup||split peas (dry)|
|2 cubes||Knorr Tomato Bouillon or other soup base (enough for 4 cups stock)|
|1/4 tsp.||fresh ginger, sliced or chopped|
|5 cups||filtered water|
|1 tsp.||soy sauce|
|2 ribs||celery, sliced|
|~||brown rice, prepared separately|
|~||substitute sliced Romaine lettuce for celery; if other greens are used, add earlier as appropriate|
|1 tsp.||substitute garam masala for cayenne and cinnamon|
|~||garnish with crumbled tofu, browned in oil and soy sauce|
|~||garnish with chopped cilantro|
|~||garnish with toasted, seasoned nuts or seeds|
- In a medium size pot, saute onion, garlic, cayenne in oil a few minutes until onion is soft.
- Add black pepper, cinnamon, bay leaf, saute a minute or two longer.
- Add peas, bouillon, ginger, water, soy sauce, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, simmer covered about 30 minutes.
- Add celery, simmer covered about 15 more minutes until peas are tender.
- Serve in soup bowls over prepared brown rice, topping with optional garnishes.
Recipe created March 14, 2000, by Daniel E. Singer
Updated January 5, 2002