|½ cup||brown lentils (dry)|
|2 ribs||celery, ¼ - ½ inch slices|
|4 tsp.||chicken soup powder|
|Optional ingredients (* = recommended):|
|1+ cloves||garlic, chopped *|
|1 small||cayenne pepper *|
|¼ tsp.||ginger (fresh), chopped *|
|½ 1 tsp.||lemon pepper marinade seasoning *|
|1||bay leaf *|
|to taste||soy sauce*|
|to taste||freshly ground black pepper|
|to taste||lemon juice|
|to taste||herbs of your choice; eg,|
½ tsp. mixed herbs
|to taste||other vegetables; for exampe:|
carrot*, bell pepper, onion
- In a medium size pot, bring water and lentils (and optional bay leaf) to a boil.
- Reduce heat, simmer covered about 15 minutes.
- Add other ingredients, simmer covered about 15 more minutes until lentils are tender.
- Serve in soup bowls over prepared brown rice.
- Note: If adding more vegetables, consider increasing water to 5 cups and chicken soup powder to 5 tsp., or increase lemon-pepper and soy sauce.
Recipe created November 15, 1999, by Daniel E. Singer
Updated January 9, 2001