Refereed Conference Papers
- R. B. Osborne, T. Thomas, and J. Forbes, Teaching with
Robots: A Service-Learning Approach to Mentor Training, Proceedings
of the 41st Technical Symposium on Computer
Science Education, Milwaukee, WI, 2010.
- L. G. Huettel, J. Forbes, L. Franzoni, R. A. Malkin,
J. Nadeau, K. Nightingale and G. A. Ybarra. Transcending the
Traditional: Using Tablet PCs to Enhance Engineering and Computer Science
Instruction. Proceedings of the 37th
ASEE/IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference, IEEE Press, Milwaukee,
- Casey Alt, Owen Astrachan, Jeffrey Forbes, Richard Lucic, and Susan
Rodger, Social Networks Generate Interest in Computer
Science. Proceedings of the 36th Technical Symposium on Computer
Science Education, Houston, TX, 2006.
- T. Bailey and J. Forbes. Just-in-Time Teaching for CS0. Proceedings of the 36th Technical Symposium on Computer
Science Education, St. Louis, MO, 2005.
- T. Bailey and J. Forbes. Computers and Society in CS0: An Interactive
Approach. Proceedings of the 34th
ASEE/IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference, IEEE Press, Savannah,
GA, p. S2F:19--23, 2004.
- S. Pollard and J. Forbes. Hands-on Labs Without
Computers. Proceedings of the 34th Technical Symposium on Computer
Science Education. p. 296--300, 2003.
- Owen L. Astrachan, Robert C. Duvall, Jeffrey R. N. Forbes, and Susan
H. Rodger, Active Learning in Small to Large Courses, Proceedings of the Frontiers in Education Conference, IEEE, 2002.
- J. Forbes, T. Huang, K. Kanazawa, and S. Russell. The BATmobile: Towards
a Bayesian Automated Taxi. Proceedings of International Joint
Conference on Artificial Intelligence, 1995.
- M. Wellman, C. Liu, D. Oynadath, S. Russell, J. Forbes, T. Huang, and
K. Kanazawa. Decision-theoretic reasoning for traffic monitoring and
vehicle control. Proceedings of the Intelligent Vehicles '95
Refereed Workshops, Posters, and Other Sessions
- J. Forbes, Exploring Connected Worlds. (Poster) Proceedings of the 43rd Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education, Raleigh, NC, March 2012.
- S. Westbrook, V. Piotrowski, J. Forbes, H. Taylor, and
M. McClure. Understanding NSF Funding Opportunities. (Special Session) Proceedings of the 43rd Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education, Raleigh, NC, March 2012.
- R. B. Osborne, T. Thomas, and J. Forbes. RoboCupJunior Primer:
Expanding Educational Robotics. Proceedings of the 2010 AAAI Spring
Symposium: Using Electronic Tangibles to Promote Learning: Design and
Evaluation, March 2010.
- B. Trushkowsky, D. Stecher, and J. Forbes. CoBib: Collaborative
indexing and annotation of bibliographic citations. (Poster) ACM 2008
Conference on Computer Supported Collaborative Work, San Diego, CA,
November 10, 2008.
- Williams, A.B., Touretzky, D.S., Manning, L. Walker, J.J.,
Boonthum, C., Forbes, J., and Doswell, J.T. The ARTSI Alliance:
Recruiting underrepresented students to computer science and robotics to
improve society. Proceedings of the 2008 AAAI Spring
Symposium: Using AI to Motivate Greater Participation in Computer
Science, 110-111. AAAI Press. March, 2008.
- J. Forbes, Social Networks as an Introduction to Computer Science. (Poster)
Sunbelt XXVIII International Sunbelt Social Network Conference,
St. Petersburg, FL, January 2008.
- J. Forbes and D. Garcia, ...But What Do the Top-Rated Schools Do? A Survey of Introductory Computer Science Curricula. (Special Session) Proceedings of the 38th Technical Symposium on Computer
Science Education, ACM, 2007. [presentation materials and data]
- J. Forbes and O. Astrachan, HarambeNet: Introducing Computer Science through the Modeling and
Analysis of Social Networks. (Workshop) Proceedings of the 38th Technical Symposium on Computer
Science Education, 2007.
- J. Forbes and J. Gilbert, Building the future black faculty
pipeline. Proceedings of AfroGeeks: From technophobia to
technophilia. Center for Black Studies, University of California, Santa
- J. Forbes and D. Andre, Representations for Learning Control
Policies. ICML Workshop on Development of Representations. 2002.
- J. Forbes and D. Andre. Real-time reinforcement learning in continuous
domains. AAAI Spring Symposium on Real-Time Autonomous Systems. 2000.
- Jeffrey R. N. Forbes, Reinforcement Learning for Autonomous
Vehicles, Ph.D. Thesis, Computer Science Division, University of
California at Berkeley, March 2002.
- J. Forbes, N. Oza, R. Parr, and S. Russell. Feasibility Study of Fully
Automated Vehicles Using Decision-Theoretic Control. Technical Report
UCB-ITS-PRR-97-18, PATH/UC Berkeley, 1997.